Saint Lucia: A Favorite
People often ask “which is my favorite?” That’s like asking which child is my favorite… the one in front of me of course. But seriously, one of my FAVORITE islands is definitely St. Lucia. Between the people, the food, the incredible waterfalls and of course the BEST diving yet, it’s an amazing experience! St. Lucia has been voted “Worlds Best Wedding and Honeymoon Destination” at the World Travel Awards 9 times.
You won’t find the mega-resorts with thousands of rooms in St Lucia. This island is all about the quality of resorts and rooms, not the quantity as well as exploring and learning. They have so many items to mark off your bucket list from riding in a helicopter to taking a mud bath in the fountain of youth. Were you considering Hawaii as your destination for a getaway but didn’t want the extremely long travel days? Did you know you could get to St. Lucia in as little as 4 and half hours with a direct flight from Charlotte? Ready to book yet?
Saint Lucia Resorts
- Sandals Halcyon Beach is a smaller boutique resort with an incredible river pool and only 169 rooms. This property has a smaller, intimate but very calm beach. There are six restaurants on resort, and seven bars and Golf nearby.
- Sandals Grande St Lucian is known as the liveliest, FUN resort with GM Winston hosts a mere 301 rooms. They are known for their weekly beach and pool parties. This resort offers the calmest and longest beach. So if you’re a beach lover… this is your JAM! If you’re a diver there is a dock at resort which is a bonus. There are twelve restaurants on resort, and eight bars and Golf nearby.
- Sandals La Toc St Lucia has something for everyone, from a fun lively pool to a quiet pool hidden in the hillside. This resort offers 327 rooms and has the most private plunge pools. If you are looking for privacy, this is your resort! Beware the views are spectacular but if you are a “get in the ocean and swim” kind of person, this beach tends to host a yellow/red flag often due to rough waters. But if you love sitting on the beach and jumping in the pool this is the perfect spot for you. There are nine restaurants on resort, and eight bars and Golf nearby. This is not the best resort for the physically challenged as there is no wheelchair access.
- Good news! You can usually stay at one resort and play at all three. That’s a total of 27 restaurants to choose from! (Currently on hold with safety restrictions.)
Have Rooms with Private Pools?
- Sandals Grande St Lucian
- Sandals Halcyon
- Sandals La Toc
Have Swim-Up Suites?
- Sandals Grande St Lucian
- Sandals Halcyon
A Few Saint Lucia Fun Facts
BIG FACT YOU NEED TO KNOW: The wearing of camouflage or military apparel is illegal in St. Lucia and clothing will be confiscated and persons charged accordingly.
- The official language is English, but French-based Patois is widely spoken.
- Currency is the Eastern Caribbean dollar, but the US Dollar is widely accepted.
- St Lucia is 27 miles long by 14 miles wide with 238 square miles.
- The islands natural beauty is second to none.
- The world famous Piton mountains have been listed as a United Nations World Heritage Site.
- The island is home to a lush rainforest.
- Located in the southern Caribbean, it’s always summer!
- It is often referred to as “little Hawaii.”
- The island looks like it was plucked from the South Pacific and dropped in the Caribbean, like a Tahiti or Bora Bora.
- It’s home to a drive-through volcano, and even some black sand beaches.
- There’s lots of rich history. The French and English had 14 wars for control of St Lucia. Each country won 7 times. St Lucia became an independent state in 1979. St Lucia was also known as the “Helen of the West Indies” after the Greek mythological character, Helen of Troy.
- The time zone is Atlantic Standard time, which is 1 hour ahead of eastern standard time. Daylight savings time is not observed.
- Average temperature ranges from 75 F to 85 F.
Saint Lucia Travel
St Lucia is a little harder to get to from most cities in the U.S., compared to destinations like Jamaica. But, as the Lucians say, “it takes a little longer to get to Heaven.” St Lucia is a little more off the beaten path and is more alluring for a Caribbean honeymoon, wedding, or romantic getaway.
- Many that arrive in the evening often ask us why they can’t get a discount for the first day when they barely use the room. You can get around this predicament, but you will have to put up with some inconvenience. You can stay at an inexpensive small resort without an all-inclusive plan for the first night. Then the next day you can get up and take a taxi to your all-inclusive resort. You can also overnight with friends, family or an airport hotel in Atlanta, Miami, JFK or Newark.
- St Lucia has 2 airports, Vigie (SLU) and Hewanorra (UVF). Hewanorra is the main airport that takes full sized jets. Vigie is closer to most of the resorts in Castries, but only accepts smaller aircraft.
- Highly recommend the 10-12 minute helicopter transfer to the resort (faster), $205pp each way. After the helicopter it’s just a quick 10-20 min airport transport (SLU) VS 1 hour & 15-30 mins airport transport (UVF).
- Island hopping is easy from St Lucia to Antigua, Barbados, Palm Island and Grenada!
Saint Lucia Activities
One of the best reasons to visit St Lucia is for all the tours and activities that you can enjoy on this simply beautiful island. Some of the most popular tours are walking, biking or riding through the rainforest, visiting the drive-through volcano and Sulphur springs, and boat trips. You HAVE TO do a scenic boat trip while staying in St Lucia. Rounding the corner of the island and having the Pitons come in to view is a sight you will never forget. If you choose one of the resorts near the Pitons, make sure you get to see them from the water, too.
- Soufriere Jeep + Waterfall Discovery
Visit Soufriere (the old Capital of St. Lucia) and fall in love with the majestic Piton Mountains, the world famous drive-in volcano at Sulphur Springs, and Toraille Waterfall. Days: Tues-Sun
- Private Soufriere Getaway
A private getaway complete with a cooler and a picnic basket, this is the perfect adventure for two! Take a scenic drive down the West Coast through quaint fishing villages before arriving at Soufriere to explore the magnificence of the Piton Mountains.
- Volcano Highlight
Travel through the quaint fishing villages of Anse La Raye and Canaries, then arrive in Soufriere (the old Capital of St. Lucia) and visit the world famous drive-in volcano at Sulphur Springs. Days: Mon & Thur
- Saint Lucia Rainforest Skyride
Enjoy a sky-high glide through the rainforest of St. Lucia from your own aerial gondola.
- ATV Adventure St. Lucia
Into the mountains and through the age-old banana plantations, riders will enjoy an amazing journey through the rugged back roads of St. Lucia. Days: Tues – Sun
- Land & Sea Saint Lucia Adventure
The day begins with a drive through Castries, the Morne, banana plantations, fishing villages, Marigot Bay Lookout, Anse La Raye, and Soufriere to view the Sulphur Springs at the Drive-In Volcano. Days: Tues, Wed & Thur
- Saint Lucia Rainforest Canopy Adventure
Be one with nature as you glide from platform to platform on an exciting canopy adventure that hovers above St. Lucia’s lush Rainforest. Days: Mon – Sat
- JJ’s Tour is by far our favorite!
Jump into a speed boat and head over for a day at the Pitons. Take a mud bath near the volcanos…but remember to leave the mud on your face! You’ll wash all your worries and years away in the fountain of youth waterfall. Then you’ll stop for local food and a relaxing lunch before partying all the way back to resort. Definitely TOP 5 experiences thus far!
- Dolphin + Whale Watching Experience
Come aboard and experience the magical splendor of our unique Dolphin and Whale Watching Special! Follow a picturesque route down the west coast to Soufriere where most of the sightings have occurred. Truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience!
- Soufriere Adventure Cruise
Enjoy the rugged beauty of the coastline and the breathtaking awe of the majestic Piton Mountains and Sulphur Springs, home to a historical drive-in volcano. Days: Tues – Sun
- Saint Lucia Sunset Cruise
Sail the sea aboard our ‘Carnival’ catamaran where you can enjoy the island rhythms as well as the setting sun. Days: Wed & Fri
- Deep Sea Sport Fishing Saint Lucia
Island Routes brings you world-class sport fishing in Saint Lucia! Recognized as one of the most populated fishing grounds in the Caribbean, you’ll find yourself fishing for a range of the sea’s best catch!
- And More!
In St Lucia you can also kitesurf, tour the coastline on horseback, golf, snuba and so much more. We highly recommend hikers make sure they do the Tet Paul Nature Trail. If you are a certified scuba diver talk with the resort team about the Superman Flight dive at the base of the Pitons. One of the most amazing dives I’ve personally done yet! INCREDIBLE!
Knot Your Average Events
Based in Whitsett, NC | Serving Worldwide
Phone: (910) 617-2271
Hours of Operation
Mon: 11am - 7pm (EST)
Weds: 11am - 7pm (EST)
Thurs: 11am - 7pm (EST)
Fri: 11am - 7pm (EST)
Sat: Events or by appointment
Sun: By appointment only